Monday, October 3, 2011

Raw Veggie Maki with Peanut Ginger Sauce

I decided to make raw maki yesterday and packed some for my MIL (mom in law). My organic vegetable supplier also stopped by and had some. He actually wanted me to make more and sell him some! haha This surprised me since I haven't really been making raw food for a while. And he's never tried raw food before! My brother and sister inlaws tried some and liked it. Yay!

Raw food seems intimidating and crazy to most at first. If you're creative enough and willing to search for recipes then you'll realize that it can be really yummy. I just tell my husband that its like eating yummier versions of salads. 8o)

The whole idea to this is everything in that meal is raw or plant based. Oils must be cold pressed, sauces are not processed like soy sauce or processed vinegar. This way you get all the natural enzymes which is super good for your body. It even prevents and cures diseases. They also say that you get closer to your inner being the more you eat raw food. Read more on raw food here.

I want to do 30% raw food for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm closing in on my third trimester and I don't like the sluggish heavy feeling that usually come with it. Anyway here's the recipe:

Raw Veggie Maki with Peanut Ginger Sauce



Sauce:
raw peanuts, soaked and dried
a bit of ginger, peeled and sliced
a bit of garlic, peeled
flax seeds (optional)
some juice from lime or calamansi (Filipino lime)
sea salt
water (we use alkaline at home)
*you can add liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, pepper etc if you like just season to taste.

  1. with a blender or food processor blend ginger and garlic
  2. add peanuts and a bit of water
  3. add flax seeds and other ingredients
  4. blend until you get a paste-like consistency
*since i have an ordinary blender, I had to remove lumps of peanuts, garlic and ginger,just so I wont bite into them.


Maki:
carrots, sliced into sticks
cabbage, shredded
cucumber, sliced into sticks
raw nori sheets from leaf kitchen
**you can use any of your favorite veggies, lettuces go well with this.

  1. lay nori sheet flat on a bamboo roller or a flat surface
  2. on one edge layer shredded cabbage or greens first
  3. then add some sauce to bind everything
  4. layer carrots and cucumber
  5. roll tighly, seal with a bit of water and slice
  6. enjoy!
*You can also make dipping sauce with liquid aminos and I heard mustard leaves tastes like wasabe!

I got the main recipe from Ani Phyo's video and tweaked it according to the ingredients that i have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a note! 8o)

Visit InfoServe for backgrounds or to create a website.
Visit InfoServe for backgrounds or to create a website.